The PDB has always let me keep my three-letter codes if they were unclaimed
IDs. For example, I had a series of drugs from a South African collaborator
during the South African World Cup, and I named all the ligands VZ# for the
stupid vuvuzelas that were blaring in the background while I was trying to
refine the structures. The PDB let me keep all the IDs except for the one
that was published previously. Unless there has been a policy change
recently, I don't think there is an issue with keeping the unclaimed ID you
give it.

Cheers,
Katherine

--
"Nil illegitimo carborundum"* - *Didactylos