On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Bill Long wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 03:28:11 +0000
> From: Bill Long <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: who can help?
>
> In a discussion of helpful diagnostics, it would be remiss to not
> mention the NAG compiler.  It has an excellent reputation as a tool for
> identifying program errors.

True. I didn't mention NAG because so few people here use Fortran that
the people in charge of money for computing stopped paying for it a few
years ago. But when I could use it, it was good. I still treasure the
reply I got in 2003 when I was beta-testing a new NAG f95 version and
sent them a program that was treated very differently on Sun and Compaq
machines: "What an interesting set of problems for a Monday morning!"

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 6:01 PM, John Harper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> ... But remember that compilers are allowed to choose different
>> options in some circumstances, e.g. when you use format * for output.
>
> There are several such processor dependencies.  They are listed in
> Annex A of the standard.

Thank you for the reference. I did know there are other cases; that's why
I said "e.g." not "i.e."

-- John Harper, School of Mathematics Statistics and Operations Research
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
e-mail [log in to unmask] phone (+64)(4)463 5276 fax (+64)(4)463 5045