Classic texts that made an impact on me when I was training:

Aliens and Alienists - Littlewood and Lipsedge
Rethinking psychiatry - Kleinman
Development psychiatry - Ben Tovim

Just dug out my copy of the last book, published in the mid 1980s.  I was impressed again at how sensitively Ben-Tovim describes the encounter between western psychiatry and local presentations and understandings of distress.  He does try to fit complaints of local people into psychiatric categories, but also very thoughtfully relates the phenomenology of the complaint.

For learning disabilities a really terrific book is

Questions of Competence - Jenkins et al.

I also love this book on the cultural gulf between western medics and ethnic minority understandings of illness-

The Spirit catches You and You fall down - Fadiman

Have fun!

Deborah