From: CCP4 bulletin board [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Pavel Afonine [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] How many is too many free reflections?

Hi Graeme,

free reflections are used for two purposes, at least: cross-validation (calculation of Rfree) and ML parameters estimation (sigmaa or alpha/beta). For the latter it is important that each relatively thin resolution bin (sufficiently thin so that alpha/beta can be considered constants in it) receives no less than 50 reflections absolute min; in Phenix we found that ~150 per bin is sufficient and this is what's used by default.

Pavel