From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graeme Winter
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 12:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] How many is too many free reflections?

Hi Folks

Had a vague comment handed my way that "xia2 assigns too many free reflections" - I have a feeling that by default it makes a free set of 5% which was OK back in the day (like I/sig(I) = 2 was OK) but maybe seems excessive now.

This was particularly in the case of high resolution data where you have a lot of reflections, so 5% could be several thousand which would be more than you need to just check Rfree seems OK.

Since I really don't know what is the right # reflections to assign to a free set thought I would ask here - what do you think? Essentially I need to assign a minimum %age or minimum # - the lower of the two presumably?

Any comments welcome!

Thanks & best wishes Graeme