Dear Colin,
  I think the residual blob usually represents a combination of different chemical entities.

I think the correct thing to do is to try to dock all the possible chemical entities you have in your crystallisation buffer, purification buffers and things that have carried through in an unknown manner from the purification into the blob and try and estimate their occupancies (if they give a chemically reasonable fit).

If it is a big enough blob you could just try and dock glycerol (if this is in your cryo) and water and have them at half occupancy, and have a comment in the pdb header.

Regards, Ben

Ben Bax
Senior Scientific Investigator
BioMolecular Sciences UK
RD Platform Technology & Science

GSK
Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, SG1 2NY, UK
Email   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Mobile  +44 (0) 7912 600604
Tel       +44 (0) 1438 55 1156

gsk.com<http://www.gsk.com/>  |  Twitter<http://twitter.com/GSK>  |  YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/gskvision>  |  Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/glaxosmithkline>  |  Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/glaxosmithkline>