The metal ion is looking reasonable, and it is also chemically sensible based on the crystallization conditions. Add another water around the remaining positive difference density and see if the resulting geometry looks remotely octahedral. From the one, view provided, it does appear to be an approximately octahedral coordination sphere. If so, this interpretation might be a winner. If this is a surface site, it is very possible that the nickel ion (and associated waters) are at less than 100% occupancy.

Depending on the wavelength selected and the quality of data collected, you might have some anomalous scattering that would help confirm the presence of nickel.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor