I have never trusted Pymol's "normalization" of maps, because it has
never been clear to me if it does the normalization before or after the
"carve".  If it is after, then you have a serious interpretation
problem: the "1 sigma" level will be MUCH lower than if the rest of the
map were not set to zero.  In this situation if you set the "carve"
right the map will look a LOT more like the coordinates than it should.
In fact, if you "normalize" a map using anything but an integral number
of asymmetric units your "1 sigma" level will not be the same as if it
were done properly.  With pymol you usually have to extend the map to
"cover" the protein of interest, and this extended map is seldom an
integral number of asymmetric units.

So, I have always taken to normalizing the map myself (using mapmask)
with a single ASU or single cell as the map extent, and THEN extending
the map to cover the PDB (using a completely different run of mapmask)
and only then load it into pymol. I always turn off map normalization in
pymol.  I have also never used "carve", as my thesis adviser strongly
disapproved of the practice.  Mostly because of the potential for bias
mentioned above.

Do you really have to "carve" for your density to be clear?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist