Hi Graeme,

free reflections are used for two purposes, at least: cross-validation
(calculation of Rfree) and ML parameters estimation (sigmaa or alpha/beta).
For the latter it is important that each relatively thin resolution bin
(sufficiently thin so that alpha/beta can be considered constants in it)
receives no less than 50 reflections absolute min; in Phenix we found that
~150 per bin is sufficient and this is what's used by default.

Pavel