As well as Jeff's excellent summary of the situation, I suspect that the average diamond is not that profitable.  Remember only a tiny number of the prospectors for gold, gems and other minerals have ever become rich.  Only the headline-grabbing super-gems have great value.  Also, it's what's called "added value" that transforms most raw materials into expensive goods - the middlemen who trade them,  the diamond cutters in Amsterdam and elsewhere who turn them into industrial tools or expensive jewels, the people who sell them to their final user, all add their cut.  All these individuals paid individual taxes.

Over to you, Marika, to track them down.  Good luck!

Kathy