Hi Sarah-

We've done well with "souping up" the stereomicroscope with 20x oculars and a 2x screw-on objective for wood charcoal ID. The fragments of wood can be placed in a little dish of sand so they stay still enough for observation. It helps keep costs down and the bench space a little more open, which is not so much an issue in the lab here, but is fairly important in the field. It may be worth considering, depending on your set up.

Cheers,

Linda