Dear All,

Please can anyone tell me if fennel was available as a vegetable in England in medieval times.  Seeds have been found of Foeniculum vulgare at various British sites, usually assumed to be a herb, but I don't know of any evidence for remains of fennel stem/vegetable parts.

I have been asked about a recipe which uses fennel stem/bulb, (is this called 'Florence fennel' ?), possibly from the 'Forme of Cury' recipes compiled in the time of Richard II (1367-99).

Any records would be relevant, recipes, garden plant lists, herbals etc.

I haven't seen it mentioned as a vegetable in the garden lists I have seen where it is listed as a herb.  Some sources say it was only use in England in post-medieval times although it was used earlier in Europe.

I would be grateful of any ideas where to look or for any references.

I am helping museum volunteers to write a booklet about food and recipes from the times of Richard III (d. 1485) for Leicester Museums.

Angela

University of Leicester Archaeological Services