Dear Colleagues,

I am currently writing an article on Irish fairy belief and folk religion.
I am trying to avoid terms like 'supernatural' and the consequent
cosmological separation between 'natural' and 'super-natural'. I don't wish
to use 'spiritual being' as this has an association of non-physical and not
all of the beings I'm discussing are described as non-physical (in that
they are flesh and blood). 'Other-than-human' suggests a superiority of
human beings above other beings and also includes a whole range of
creatures (animals, birds, insects, bacteria). I came across the
description 'non-ordinary beings' and I wonder who coined this term. Does
anyone on the list know?

With best wishes,

Jenny