I had a pleasant surprise this week when someone pointed out that our course offering events were appearing in Google search results. For example, if you search for practical journalism course<https://www.google.co.uk/#q=practical+journalism+course> you should find:

  1.
Pages - Course Details : HND Practical Journalism<http://www.fife.ac.uk/student/courses/course/HDPRJ>
www.fife.ac.uk/student/courses/course/HDPRJ
<https://www.google.co.uk/#>
     *   <http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0ST8Bb3dn6IJ:www.fife.ac.uk/student/courses/course/HDPRJ+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk>
     *   <https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1440&bih=731&q=related:www.fife.ac.uk/student/courses/course/HDPRJ+practical+journalism+course&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=K-doVeOfOsG2UpOXgfAG&ved=0CDUQHzAA>
Accredited by the National Council for Training of Journalists, the HND Practical Journalism is designed to equip you with the essential skills required to develop  ...
31 Aug 2015 - 10 Jul 2016
Full Time<http://www.fife.ac.uk/student/courses/course/HDPRJ>
Kirkcaldy - St Brycedale

What's new is the last row, which picks up the offering that runs between start and end dates, has a mode of attendance and a location.

Many years ago, we incorporated a hCalendar microformat<http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar> in our course details page generator (we use XSLT to render the content sections of the page from our XCRI<http://www.xcri.co.uk> feed, so we have total control of the markup). Google's rich snippet page for events<https://developers.google.com/structured-data/rich-snippets/events> does not actually tell you how to craft the markup. Ours is dismally archaic, but it seems to work; here is the stripped-down markup for the table row:

            <abbr title="20150831" class="dtstart">31 Aug 2015</abbr>
            <abbr title="20160710" class="dtend">10 Jul 2016</abbr>

If you are using HTML5, I guess you would want to use microdata/schema.org instead.

Tavis Reddick
Enterprise Systems Support Technologist
ICT Services
Fife College
Stenton Campus, Glenrothes

DDI: 01592 223313  ext: 3313
E: [log in to unmask]
W: www.fife.ac.uk

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments immediately. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the author's employer (the College). The College does not take any responsibility for the views of the author.

The College, is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC021203