Dear all,

[Please excuse cross-posting]

I am writing in relation to a book I am co-authoring with Jill Hohenstein, a colleague from King’s College London. The book aims to bridge theory and practice and also to introduce new theoretical perspectives (coming from learning theory mainly) that museum professional may not be as familiar with.

To make the book more relevant to readers, we would like to use scenarios/vignettes that come from issues that museum professionals face when they develop and deliver exhibitions, programmes and events etc. We will then link those scenarios to theory/concepts in order to make the latter meaningful and easier to apply in practice. There is more information about it all in the attachment as well as a brief description of the book structure. I was wondering if you have any scenarios to offer and/or if you could share this with other colleagues in the Tate or elsewhere (both in the UK and abroad) that might be able to help us?

To help you develop your scenario(s), here are some elements you might want to include:

1. Brief description of project (staff training/volunteering programme, temporary or permanent exhibition, discovery areas/rooms or labs, programmes, shows/demonstrations, workshops, outreach, events, theatre,  resources etc)

2. Who (from which departments & roles they play) is/was involved in it

3. Project info:

Project scope

Project aims & objectives

Target audience

Interpretation plan/approach

4. Underlying learning (or other) theory used

5. Issues faced during the development and delivery

6. Which stage of the project did the issue(s) come up

7. Which aspect of the project did it relate to (i.e. content, design, interpretation, project management, in-group communication, budget, schedule, installation etc)

8. How were they resolved

9. How did theory help to resolve them, if relevant

10. How was theory adapted in order to resolve the issue(s), if relevant

No 9 & 10 are completely optional. Please do let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for any help and feedback you can give us.

Best wishes,

Theano

Dr Theano Moussouri

Lecturer in Museum Studies