Dear Zhivago,

there is nothing "pending" after e.g. Coregister-Estimate is finished.
A 3D image consists of voxel data and a description of the orientation
of the voxel grid in "world space". Coregister/Realign Estimate will
update the orientation information in the header. This will move the
voxel grid to a different position in world space without altering the
contents of the image. Smoothing does not change the orientation of
the voxel grid, it only computes new voxel values. Reslice or any of
the normalisation procedures produce a new grid and compute new voxel
values, based on the original data.
SPM functions like spm_slice_vol, spm_sample_vol always apply the
correct spatial information when reading data from an image file. This
is used throughout SPM. Examples include spm_orthviews or spm_imcalc,
where you can easily display images or run computations on images
having different orientations and voxel sizes. There are only a few
places where SPM explicitly requires images to have the same
orientation and voxel size.

Hope this helps,

Volkmar

--