When the segmentation fails, the first thing to check is that the orientation and origin of the image matches the MNI template orientation and origin. You can check this using checkreg. If it doesn't match, then you can use the Display function to reorient the image. If it matches, then another person on the list might have some suggestions. In my experience, all the failures in my data have been due to orientation issue or image quality issues.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren