Hi Jing,

concerning 1): for DCM or PPI analyses, you can extract the time-courses
from those voxels only that shown an experimental effect at some
threshold (often 0.05 uncorrected) - but another option could be to
extract from all voxels in a fixed sphere located at the peak of the 2nd
level analysis. To my knowledge, both approaches are valid.
concerning 2): To my knowledge, it would be valid to apply the PPI on an
event-related paradigm and it has also been done previously - but the
block-design is probably the more powerfull.

Best, Brian