thanks natasa

this sounds like what archivists say. it is completely correct, although exactly how we will deal with this is not immediately clear to me - fortunately we have over 4 years left to think about it. with your help.

it is also reminiscent of how MPEG works - there is an embodiment of a software solution to eg code and decode an MPEG file. or in today's terminology, an IM-AF file.

so one immediate thought is to keep under review how our concept of DMO fits with the MPEG concept of IM-AF.

fwiw, the music ontology is going through the MPEG standardisation process as an adjunct to the existing media value chain ontology, so we are already reasonably well placed to work with MPEG.

best wishes to all

mark

ps: we are intending to use basecamp as a way to manage these sorts of discussions, mini-project progress, etc but for now we have to do the best we can with email.

--
professor mark sandler, CEng, FIEEE, FAES, FIET, FBCS
royal society wolfson research merit award holder

director of the EPSRC/AHRC CDT in media and arts technology (MAT)
director of the centre for digital music (c4dm)

school of electronic engineering and computer science
queen mary university of london

+44 (0)20 7882 7680; +44 (0)7775 016715

twitter: @markbsandler,
follow the FAST-IMPACt Programme Grant @semanticaudio