Dear Caroline,

I am also a physiotherapist by profession and I am engaged in realist evaluation work. I am in the US but would love to connect and have an opportunity to share our work with each other.

Barbara

On May 11, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Caroline Stretton wrote:

Thank you to all who responded and make contact. Very helpful feedback and I have some new avenues I am exploring for support. Much appreciated.
-Caroline-

-----Original Message-----
From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jagosh, Justin
Sent: Friday, 8 May 2015 1:04 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What is in a name- realist review vs modified vs rapid?

Caroline,

Following Gill's comments, I'd say that if you've identified an outcome of interest, and you've been working back to understand the underlying mechanisms that have manifested within key contextual conditions, and you've identified and developed relevant  (middle-range) theory to support your explanitory analysis, you can indeed call this a realist review.

Realist review helps us recognize the complex array of factors involved in the production of interventions, but we are always working with partial knowledge so you are perfectly justified to have picked one specific outcome and to have theorized the intervention around that outcome. Describe it clearly and provide your rationale. The review doesn't have to be 'completely comprehensive' to be a realist review  because, well that's just not possible. Emphasize that the theoretical oputput of your work contributes to the cumulation of knowledge in this field over time.  Include a strong section on 'direction for future research' which can be informed by the results of your review. And I agree with Gill: transparency in your reporting is key!

best of luck,
Justin

Justin Jagosh, Ph.D
Senior Research Fellow