From: James Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:02/05/2015 17:01 (GMT+05:45)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Nepal earthquake mortality forecast -- Reality check & Proposals

Ben, Radix and NatHazDis,

"The UN estimates it needs nearly USD 500 million for the continuing relief operation and had received as on last night about USD 50 million in pledges and half that amount in actual donations"
Without elected government or constitution and in the aftermath of civil war, ineffective administration and control systems are conditions ripe for corruption. Even before the earthquake, Nepal's position on Transparency International's scale of internally perceived corruption was 126 down the scale of 174 countries. Roger Bilham will be well aware of that: Nicholas Ambraseys & Roger Bilham (2011) Corruption Kills. Nature 469 pp153-155. 13 January.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7329/full/469153a.html

Funding agencies are now rightly cautious about what happens to their money once given. As a consequence, those in need do without for longer and the rich and powerful get richer and more powerful. Corruption is a difficult topic because, by its covert nature, evidence is hard to come by until court cases reveal its operation. Especially to visitors, corruption will rarely by spoken of, nonetheless, it exists with devastating consequences in the creation of poverty and vulnerability.
Abari is a Nepali ngo making a direct appeal for materials for in situ tent manufacture, for distribution as shelter and medical camps amongst rural populations (https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/earthquake-nepal-accommodation-medical-camps); Abari is also known for research into bamboo construction (and therefore reconstruction). The Abari main website (not the one above) is barred (to me) by my internet security system. Does anyone know of Abari in Nepal and if they are a worthwhile and reliable agency? If they are, they might be a reasonable route for response.

Regards,

James