It was my understanding that volunteering as a get out for paying people the national minimum wage only applies to charities on not-for-profit organisations. If you are a volunteer, you have no obligation to turn up and do the work - I'm not convinced that this would apply should you agree to take part in this series.

Nicely summarised in this Guardian piece recently http://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/legal-overview-internships :

There are some exceptions to the right to be paid. If you "volunteer", then you do not have to perform work or provide services and therefore you are not covered by the National Minimum Wage Act 1998 regardless of what industry you are in. If you are a "voluntary worker" specifically working for charity, voluntary organisation or fund raising body, then you can work without profit for such good causes. This is recognised in the National Minimum Wage Act.

As for the age/diversity issue, surely a simple way to maximise chances of finding diverse group of intelligent and engaging contributors would be to offer them remuneration.

Cat