Loosely related, but here's an article about ways of spotting predatory journals and targeting journals appropriate for your research. Some useful links in there that might be helpful too.

http://www.scidev.net/global/publishing/practical-guide/target-journal-right-research-communicate-publish.html

On 19 May 2015 at 17:04, Michael Kenward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This piece in PNAS might be useful as background:

How many scientific papers are not original?

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/1/6

MK

-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holly Cave
Sent: 14 May 2015 13:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Academic plagarism

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a feature article for Technologist magazine about plagarism within academia.

Is the problem getting worse? If so, why?
Does software help to both reduce and disguise the occurence of plagarism?

I'd be especially interested to hear from EU researchers and those in the academic publishing world who have come "face-to-face" with the issue, whether straightforward plagarism, "predatory" journals or cases of research misconduct. Please do get in touch with me directly at [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance and best wishes!
Holly

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
• Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com

This message is private and confidential, may contain privileged information and may be protected by copyright.

It must not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete all copies and any attachments. The contents of this email including any attachments may contain viruses which could damage your computer system. While Teach First has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. All messages sent and received by Teach First may be monitored as permitted by law. Any opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Teach First.

Teach First is a charity registered in England and Wales (charity number 1098294); and a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (company registration number 04478840) with its registered office at 4 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AU.

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com