And did she report it to the parent institution's relevant conduct authority?

On 14 May 2015 at 15:06, Mhairi Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
A colleague of mine was sent a paper last week to referee. It seemed familiar then she realised it was word for word one of her papers with the formulae changed. She rejected it.
#sorrynotsorry #facepalm

More seriously, we all wondered how it could have got as far as being sent out.

------------------------
Dr Mhairi Stewart
Public Engagement Officer
Biomedical Sciences Research Complex
North Haugh, University of St Andrews
Scotland, KY16 9ST

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532

From: Joana Osorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, 14 May 2015 14:32
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Academic plagarism

Hi Holly,

I've been an in-house academic editor for more than 7 years, only recently becoming a freelancer. I'm not sure whether the problem is getting worse or whether everyone is just paying more attention to it. In any case, here are a few websites that you and other people interested in these issues might find useful:

Many publishers now routinely use CrossCheck to detect plagiarism in submitted articles (http://www.crossref.org/crosscheck/crosscheck_for_researchers.html).

Most reputable publishers are also now part of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE; http://publicationethics.org/).

A good source of discussion of research misconduct is Retraction Watch (http://retractionwatch.com/). You can search for 'plagiarism' (with an 'i') to browse through discussions of recent cases.

Hope this helps,