Dear Jacques,

Thanks for your response. I find clear and useful your distinction between hard and soft skills. Following your argument, we could say that students with hard skills have limited soft skills and students with soft skills have limited hard skills.

In our undergraduate program, we have tried to develop soft skills in the students with certain success. I am happy to see a number of students with good soft skills (critical thinking, skeptic, analytic, and so on). However, I am sometimes complaining that there may be too many students that lack or have limited hard skills.

I definitively believe that critical thinking is a key design skill; but is there place for designers that are not able to create attractive visual compositions but can structure clear arguments? Would it be too late to wait until master’s level education to focus on soft skills?

G. Mauricio Mejía, PhD
Associate professor University of Caldas, Colombia
@mmejiaramirez