McParland, the author of this "piece" (of what, I leave to the reader's
discretion), makes the claim that graphic designers were "insufferably
pompous" to complain that the logo chosen to celebrate Canada's 150th
birthday was designed by a *student* rather than a professional graphic
designer.

I have a BIG problem with this, and a simple analogy is sufficient to
explain.

Say a medical student were chosen to make a recommendation to the
government, which would then be implemented in policy.  Would real doctors
be "insufferably pompous" if they became upset?

Sure, no one's health will suffer because of this logo.

Sure, it is probably the case that preserving the economic worth of the
graphic design community was one factor that influenced the Graphic
Designers of Canada.  But that's also true of any and every other
professional advocacy group.

McParland paints a picture where the GDC is interested only in preserving
the employment of its members, which is a bald assertion playing on the
ever-increasing distrust of "experts," a phenomenon that is especially
prevalent among the stunningly ignorant far-right types.  His appeal to the
precedent of the design of the Canadian flag is specious and irrelevant.

He is an idiot who uses his column to generate click-bait and to osculate
the rump of the Harper Conservatives.

\V/_  /fas

*Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.*
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/