Re: [OCC-HEALTH] fit note reasons Generally, you have a very good point Irene. However, subject to the provisos in my earlier email just because they are caring for a relative does not mean that they are fit for work, it depends on the circumstances of the case and on the job requirements. Having been in that position my self it can be physically, and more to the point, extremely psychologically draining. I took a short period of leave  as I certainly would not have been in any fit state to work at the same time – to illustrate I was existing on about four hours sleep a night and lost half a stone in weight in four weeks.

It goes back to my earlier comment – the GP should be looking at the impact on the employee’s health, not the fact they were dealing with those challenges.

Anne

On 22/05/2015 11:27, "Irene Douse" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I would suggest the person is fit for work as they are obviously fit for caring. No comment about stress . I know where I work would be sending a firm letter from HR
Irene

From: janet oneill <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
 Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:07 AM
 Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] fit note reasons

Hi folks
I have come across 2 fit notes today that have really astounded me and wondered anyone else's thoughts and how these can be addressed
2 different surgeries
- 4 weeks not fit - caring for mother followed by another 2 weeks not fit - caring for mother
- 2 weeks not fit - marital problems

HR have rung to query the notes and were told that the surgery couldn;t discuss due to data protection

any thoughts??

Janet