Hi,

With many existing and emerging Janet communities seeing increased high performance networking requirements, Jisc is launching a new end-to-end performance initiative with a view to identifying and talking to those communities, finding out what their more demanding network applications and requirements are (both now and in the future), and helping document and share best practices.

Through the initiative, Jisc hopes to determine how best to help support the various communities in making optimal use of the network - especially the commodity network - for demanding applications. An example might include deployment of appropriate network performance monitoring tools, such as perfSONAR.

I’ve been seconded part-time from the University of Southampton to help drive the initiative. We have a number of activities in mind, including a workshop to be held in early to mid-September, where we hope to gather representatives from the various research communities with high performance networking requirements, as well as interested networking researchers and network operators, to share views and ideas. More information will be made available about this event in the next couple of weeks.

I hope that a number of people on the NGN list will take an interest in this initiative, and contribute actively to it. Areas of interest include but are not limited to application optimisations, host tuning, new transfer protocols, and local network architectures. It may be a good opportunity for researchers to find willing application domains in which they can test and validate their networking research, and to help raise the ‘high water mark’ for what Janet-connected communities can achieve.

We have just set up a new JiscMail list for discussion of any end-to-end network performance topics. Anyone with an interest in the topic is welcome to join it - see https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=E2EPI.

Kind regards,

Dr Tim Chown
Senior Network Services Developer
Jisc
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot. OX11 0SG
T: +44 207 2692106