Will this trickle of advertising become a flood? I'd prefer not to have commercial announcements on med-rel. It seems a hazardous precedent. -- Paul

On 27 May 2015 at 17:31, Hone, Samantha <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi All,

Did any of you know that this year is International Year of Light? Taylor & Francis have put together a collection page of free articles related to this. I wanted to draw your attention to one article in particular: ‘Advances in optics in the medieval Islamic world’. This can be found in the ‘Light in Life’ article selections here: http://bit.ly/1ArA31P+

This paper has had a lot of attention through social media recently and has been quite widely discussed. This paper reviews the state of knowledge in the field of optics before the birth of modern science and the well-documented contributions of men such as Kepler and Newton. The paper is not intended to be a comprehensive survey of the subject such as one might find in history of science journals; instead, it is aimed at the curious physicist who has probably been taught that nothing much of note was understood about the behaviour of light, beyond outdated philosophical musings, prior to the seventeenth century. The paper focuses on advances during the medieval period between the ninth and fourteenth centuries, in both the east and the west, when the theories of the Ancient Greeks were tested, advanced, corrected and mathematised.

There are also other articles that may be of interest to you in the same section, such as: ‘The sunstone and polarised skylight: ancient Viking navigational tools?’. All the articles on the page are free to access for a limited time.

I hope this is of interest to some of you.

All the best,

Sam

Samantha Hone – Marketing Coordinator | Science & Technology Journals

Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014  |  Australia
office: (07) 3246 9888  |  home: (07) 3246 9894