You are absolutely right to question almost everything written about
Redcliffe post-Chatterton, given that so many 'reliable' C19 historians
relied on his inventions. But in this case the Cannings sepulchre is legit,
indeed the documentation still survives at the Bristol Record Office: it's
at P.St MR/ChW/3/a
<http://archives.bristol.gov.uk/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=P.St+MR%2fChW%2f3%2fa>.
I recall detailed published accounts in E.E. Williams, The *Chantries of
William Canynges in St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol, with a Survey of Chantries
in General and some Events in the Lives of the Canynges Family* (1950) and T.
P. Wadley, *Notes or Abstracts of the Wills Contained in the Volume
Entitled the Great Orphan Book and Book of Wills in the Council House at
Bristol* (1886).

Jon Cannon