It is common for angels to hold things (or prepare to hold things) with covered hands, the sign of respect mentioned by Harm. Sometimes part of the robe is used, and sometimes separate cloths. Compare, for example,
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/Angels2.html
row 2 nos. 1-2, row 3 no. 1, row 4 no. 3, row 5 no. 4
(Images of the Baptism of Christ are problematic in this regard, as the cloths on the angels' hands could also be there to let the catechumen dry off!)
Others also carry things with covered hands. A few early examples:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/SantApollinareNuovo.html (just about everyone)
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/ArianBapt.html (Apostles, including Paul with scroll)
Left hands frequently hold objects while right hands gesture (often blessing).
Angels often rise from conventionalized clouds, generally signifying the heavenly realm.
best,
Genevra