Thanks, everyone, for these very helpful suggestions.
Poking around the web, I just found this site (we may have mentioned it
here in long ago threads) from the Radboud University in Nijmegen:
http://www.kunera.nl/
It's an illustrated database of hundreds of pilgrim badges searchable by
theme (sacred/profane, Christ, Mary, saints, etc.), country, and date. It
was very easy to kill a lot of time there.

John