OUT NOW FROM VERSO:

MOLECULAR RED: THEORY FOR THE ANTHROPOCENE

MCKENZIE WARK

Radical new critical theory for the twenty-first century

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1886-molecular-red

------------

“[The] paradigm of Mother Nature derailed by our hubris is wrong. Why? McKenzie Wark’s Molecular Red provides an answer.”

Read Slavoj Zizek’s review of ‘Molecular Red’ on the Verso blog

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/2007-ecology-against-mother-nature-slavoj-zizek-on-molecular-red

------------

In Molecular Red, McKenzie Wark creates philosophical tools for the Anthropocene, our new planetary epoch, in which human and natural forces are so entwined that the future of one determines that of the other.

Wark explores the implications of Anthropocene through the story of two empires, the Soviet and then the American. The fall of the former prefigures that of the latter. From the ruins of these mighty histories, Wark salvages ideas to help us picture what kind of worlds collective labor might yet build. From the Russian revolution, Wark unearths the work of Alexander Bogdanov—Lenin’s rival—as well as the great Proletkult writer and engineer Andrey Platonov.

The Soviet experiment emerges from the past as an allegory for the new organizational challenges of our time. From deep within the Californian military-entertainment complex, Wark retrieves Donna Haraway’s cyborg critique and science fiction writer Kim Stanley Robinson’s Martian utopia as powerful resources for rethinking and remaking the world that climate change has wrought. Molecular Red proposes an alternative realism, where hope is found in what remains and endures.

------------

Download ‘The Molecular Red Reader’, the free downloadable supplement to McKenzie Wark's Molecular Red: A Theory of the Anthropocene, collecting some of the rare, unpublished, and (until now) untranslated texts that inform his radical analysis in Molecular Red.

http://v.versobooks.com/Molecular_Red_Reader.pdf

------------

UPCOMING AUTHOR EVENTS

Bristol Festival of Ideas – Theory of the Anthropocene – McKenzie Ward discusses his new book Molecular Red at Bristol Festival of Ideas 2015

Watershed, 1 Canon’s Road, Harbourside, Bristol, BS1 5TX

Saturday 30th May 2015

12.00pm-2.00pm

http://www.versobooks.com/events/1107-theory-for-the-anthropocene

FOMO: Yuri Patterson and McKenzie Wark  in conversation, with an audience Q&A led by an invited respondent

ICA, The Mall, London SW1Y 5AH

Sunday 30th May 2015

12.00pm

https://www.ica.org.uk/whats-on/fomo-yuri-pattison-mckenzie-wark

------------

MCKENZIE WARK is the author of A Hacker Manifesto, Gamer Theory, 50 Years of Recuperation of the Situationist International and The Beach Beneath the Street, among other books. He teaches at the New School for Social Research and Eugene Lang College in New York City.

------------

“A wonderful book ... informative and moving ... a great recovery of an instructive life and literary effort. The book makes the case for a kind of political vision and action we need to recognize and enact. A true pleasure to read.” – Kim Stanley Robinson, author of the Mars Trilogy

“A very imaginative, historically smart, politically generative thesis … that I think we urgently need.” – Donna Haraway, author of Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: The Reinvention of Nature

------------

HARDBACK: MARCH 2015 (UK) / 304 pages / ISBN: 9781781688274

/ £16.99 / $26.95 / $32.00 (Canada)

MOLECULAR RED is available at a 50% discount on our website, with free shipping and bundled ebook. Purchasing details here: http://www.versobooks.com/books/1886-molecular-red

------------

NEW IN PAPERBACK

MCKENZIE WARK - THE BEACH BENEATH THE STREET

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1869-the-beach-beneath-the-street

The acclaimed, readable history of the Situationist International by the author of ‘A Hacker Manifesto’

“If I read a more entertaining and thought-provoking work on cultural phenomena this year, I will be, frankly, astonished” - Nick Lezard, Guardian

PAPERBACK: MARCH 2015 (UK) / 208 pages / ISBN: 9781781688380 / £11.99 / $18.95 / $22.99 (Canada)

https://www.versobooks.com/users/sign_up

Follow us online:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VersoBks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/VersoBooks