From: Simon Jowitt Monash <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thursday, 28 May 2015 21:54
To: GEO-TECTONICS <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Petrology atlases?

Umberto

Try this-http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Rock-Forming-Minerals-Thin-Section/dp/058245591X - I think this is one of the books you are after and the links to the others should be at the bottom of the page.

Cheers

Simon

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 May 2015, at 6:44 am, Umberto Fracassi <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Dear all,

maybe this request is slightly off-topic.. but perhaps not that much.

During my university years (...a few springs back but you'll be indulgent, I trust), I used to have three petrology atlas books, slim and entirely made of large microphotographs of any rock, sort of A4+ format.
These books came, as said, in a group of 3, each one with a large microphotograph on cover and a broad colored rim. I think the colors of these rims were red for magmatic, blue for metamorphic and green for sedimentary.
Once back from the UK, in the late '90s, I lost them and never found a way to get them back. I'd so much like to buy a copy back but have just no idea about the authors, or the publisher.
Searching for "petrology atlas book" on Google didn't prove helpful; even pictures didn't hold those covers, which I'd recognize spot on if I see them.
Anybody out there with a partiality for petrology and a good lead? Does this description stir any memory?

Many thanks!

Umberto

Umberto Fracassi, Ph.D.

Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via di Vigna Murata, 605
00143 Roma
Italy
Tel: +39-06-51860557
Fax: +39-06-51860507
Skype: umbogroove
http://www.roma1.ingv.it/Members/fracassi/
http://scholar.google.it/citations?hl=it&user=xzxoGp0AAAAJ
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

(Benjamin Franklin)