Hi folks,

Advance apologies for cross-listings.

Please see following job announcement for an EPMA research engineer. Basically, this is a hard-money position to manage an EPMA that we will be purchasing later this year. Materials Science works closely with Geosciences, so we expect a lot of geological/geochemical research using this instrument.

We have not yet decided on which instrument we will be purchasing. We recently issued an official bid request.

We will start reviewing applications July 15.

Applicants are welcome to contact me, but please wait until next week at the earliest.

Matt

An official link is at:
http://hrs.boisestate.edu/careers/searchcareers/electron-probe-microanalyzer-epma-research-engineer/

Position Summary
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) in conjunction with the Department of Geosciences (GEO) at Boise State University is seeking a research engineer to support the new electron probe microanalyzer (EPMA) and other electron-microscopy and x-ray diffraction facilities in the Boise State Center for Materials Characterization (BSCMC).

The BSCMC currently houses a JEOL 2100HR TEM with EDS and EELS and a Hitachi S-3400N SEM with EDS and WDS as well as two x-ray diffractometers (Bruker AXS D8 Discover with GADDS and Rigaku Miniflex 600) a research-grade optical microscope (Leica DM6000 M), and a hand-held XRF unit (Bruker Tracer III).  A new EPMA system will be added in 2016.

The person appointed will be responsible for all routine maintenance, training, and safety issues involved with the EPMA and provide back-up support for other electron-microscopy and x-ray diffraction facilities in the BSCMC.

Center personnel currently include a director, one other research engineer, and a part-time student technician. The successful applicant will join this team in guiding the BSCMC both as a major research unit for the University and as an industrially relevant resource for business. The appointee will also contribute to the Materials Science teaching programs through active involvement with graduate research projects and participation in undergraduate senior design projects. Additional opportunities exist to develop collaborative projects with students, faculty and staff in GEO.

Minimum Qualifications
Candidates must have at least three years experience with materials characterization techniques including at least two years of direct experience with EPMA. Additional experience in other characterization techniques would also be advantageous. A doctoral degree plus related graduate-level research experience is required.

Salary
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Boise State University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees. For more information visit: http://hrs.boisestate.edu/careers/benefits/.

If This Sounds Like the Job for You
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for at least three professional/academic references in a single PDF to [log in to unmask]

Close Date
Review of applications will begin 15 July 2015 and will continue until a qualified applicant pool is established.

Additional Information
With more than 22,000 students, Boise State is the largest university in Idaho. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is part of the vibrant College of Engineering, which was ranked 13th in the 2013 U.S. News & World Report’s list of best undergraduate engineering programs among comprehensive public universities and 35th among all undergraduate engineering programs.

Boise is Idaho’s capital city (elevation 2842 ft.) and largest metropolitan area, which serves as the government, business, high-tech, economic, and cultural center of the state. Located along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, the city has a vibrant downtown offering art and fine dining, and it is convenient for outdoor recreation including world-class whitewater rivers, skiing, mountain biking, fishing, and camping. Time magazine called Boise the #1 Region “Getting it Right” in 2014. The city has also been highly ranked for both outdoor activities and business by National Geographic Adventure, Bike Magazine, Forbes and others; and Outside Magazine ranked Boise its #3 Best River Town in 2012.  Liveability.com said that Boise had the #4 Best Downtown in America in 2012 and was the #1 Best City for Kids in 2014 and the #9 Best Place to Live in 2015.

About the University:  http://www.boisestate.edu/

About the City of Boise:  http://www.boisechamber.org/

About the MSE Department:  http://coen.boisestate.edu/mse/

About the GEO Department: http://earth.boisestate.edu/
Dr. Matthew J. Kohn, University Distinguished Professor
Department of Geosciences, Boise State University
1910 University Dr.; MS1535
Boise, ID 83725-1535
http://earth.boisestate.edu/mattkohn/
phone: (208)-426-2757   fax: (208)-426-4061