Hi FSLers,

I apologize in advance for my elementary question.

I ran MELODIC and dual regression with my resting state data set. Now, I'm interested in measuring the strength of the functional connectivity within a resting state network. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen any post on this forum that discusses how to obtain this strength value. Would the following steps be correct?

1) Use fslsplit on our IC of interest from dual regression stage 2 (e.g., dr_stage2_ic[#ICA].nii.gz) in order to get a subject-specific RSN map corresponding to our IC of interest.

2) Take the melodic_IC.nii.gz file and run fslsplit to get the group mean RSN map corresponding to our IC of interest. Then, binarize the group RSN map since we just want a mask of the group RSN.

3) Finally, run fslmeants (i.e., fslmeants -i dr_stage2_ic[#ICA]_subjX.nii.gz -o strength.txt -m melodic_IC#_bin.nii.gz) for the mean value as a measure of network strength.

As a related question, are there no units to the strength value? And, are there a range of values for functional connectivity strength?

I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks for your help!

Sam