An alternative is Rod Jackson’s PECOT where E stands for the more generic “Exposure” and, additionally,  includes the element of time which beginners sometimes overlook.

Make learning easier
Kev Hopayian

On 13 May 2015, at 18:45, britt smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Scott Richardson MD told me in conversation at a EBHC conference in Vail, CO, that he came up with 'PICO'. He was trying to work on a mneumonic for how to structure the 'answerable question' and shopping at a grocery store...in the 'Mexican Food' Section. He spotted 'Pico' on a can of hot sauce. Eurika! (google pico pica hot sauce).  I found his recent e-mail: [log in to unmask]
That is the way I remember the telling of the story. Thank you. Britt

Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 17:20:13 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History of PICO
To: [log in to unmask]

The earliest reference I can find seems to be this one, though I can't open the PDF to see if it refers back to something earlier:
Oxman AD, Sackett DL, Guyatt GH. Users' guides to the medical literature. I.
How to get started. The Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1993 Nov
3;270(17):2093-5. PubMed PMID: 8411577.

Bill Cayley, Jr, MD MDiv
Work: 715.286.2270
Pager: 715.838.7940
Home: 715.830.0932
Mobile: 715.828.4636

"I think some of the most celebrated moments in human achievement should be those times when everything is going against a person and they are down in the dumps but they simply choose to get up. That's real greatness."   -- Ryan Hall