Hello everyone,

At the suggestion of Arran Stibbe, I've put together a brief summary on some of the replies I received related to a recent question I posted on "discourse analytic approaches to interaction under the umbrella of, or related to the field of ecolinguistics...in particular research in sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology that explores face-to-face interaction in contexts such as everyday conversation, interviews, social media or other interactional contexts which draw on or acknowledge research in ecolinguistics."

I received several e-mails with interesting work being done by those in the ecolinguistics community but I've only included the most directly relevant responses below.

Thank you again for all of your responses and I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion in the future!

Gavin
--
Gavin Lamb
PhD Student, Department of Second Language Studies

1) Hildo Honorio De Couto ([log in to unmask]) suggested a chapter he co-authored from the recent edited volume Análise do Discurso Ecológica.  Here is a link to the title:

http://ponteseditores.com.br/loja/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=696

Hildo Honorio De Couto writes:

“I think that studies in the area you mention are difficult to find. In the book I've just announced there is a chapter in which we analyze a dialogue ecolinguistically (pages 155-161). For Ecological Discourse Analysis (EDA) language is basically interaction, not an abstract system, so that the privileged object of analysis for it is just linguistic interaction. The whole book, as well as the theory it is based on, deals with this question. I intend to talk about this during the Graz Ecolinguisticum (October, 2015).”

Buttny, R. & Cohen, J. (2007). Drawing on the words of others at public hearings: Zoning, Wal-Mart, and the threat to the aquifer. Language in Society 36, 735–756.

Buttny, R. (2015). Contesting hydrofracking during an inter-governmental hearing: Accounting by reworking or challenging the question. Discourse & Communication. 1-18

Richard Buttny writes:

“I've been using discourse analysis to examine public hearings & more recently inter-governmental hearings on environmental controversies (attached).  I'd also be curious to know of other folks using DA & related approaches to study environmental concerns.”

3) Diego Forte’s ([log in to unmask]) current and future work seems to be highly relevant to my inquiry:

Diego Forte writes:

“Besides ecolinguistcs my main field of work is face to face interaction in real contexts. My framework is systemic-functional linguistics but I adopt a multimodal perspective and I include a lot of different tools for analysis.  I haven't found any work on face to face interaction related to ecolinguistics although it is in my plans to get there with my work near in time…”

4) Finally, Susan Metheny ([log in to unmask]) suggested Eduardo Kohn’s recent book How Forests Think (2013) http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520276116 which I actually had the chance to read last year in a linguistic anthropology course taught by Alex Golub here at UH Manoa. Although not directly related to research on face-to-face interaction, it’s a fascinating and highly original book in anthropology from what I remember and may be a fruitful direction to explore as Susan suggested. On a side note, Alex Golub also interviewed Eduardo Kohn on this book for the anthropology blog “Savage Minds” which may be of interest to the ecolinguistic community. Here is the link: http://savageminds.org/2014/06/02/an-anti-nominalist-book-eduardo-kohn-on-how-forests-think/

Susan Metheny writes:

“I am new to the list, but I was brought here through the work of Eduardo Kohn, which referenced other work leading me in the direction of ecolinguistics. His book, How Forests Think, based on work in Amazonian anthropology and which I am now reading, has an excellent reference section related to work in linguistic anthropology, and may be of some use to you as well as to others in the group.”