Thanks Rosalyn. I hadn't considered timing issues. Perhaps i could give you a bell later on?

Sent from Type Mail

On 5 May 2015, at 22:05, Rosalyn Lord <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We currently support students in this exact situation Mike -

Help in Halls with shopping / cooking / washing / get out and about / meeting others / travel home etc is covered by Social Services via the student having been in receipt of a personal budget so he buys the social care support with that.

In Uni - in class, out of class doing work / research / organisation / group projects etc - is funded via DSA.

I did a talk to prospective students on this issue a few weeks ago - it went down very well!  NAS has a community care help line - if student has not get got a budget for adult social care support - or I can give you some info on what family need to do to get that started - but it can take months to organise. Social care providers can be paid directly by student - but many can not afford it, but sometimes it is for the period until funding comes through - they can use DLA and ESA - as a student can claim both of these benefits and still be a full time student - and then may attract the Special Support Grant - those funds can help if needed.

Hope that helps,

Rosalyn

Rosalyn Lord
Student Support Services Manager (North)
The National Autistic Society
North Area: Lancashire Adult & Community Services