Dear List,

I am trying to come to grips with what is happening with Greek and Latin
in French. The new is obviously bad for the role of these languages
among students from 10-14.

http://www.france24.com/fr/20150513-langues-anciennes-vallaud-belkacem-sadresse-conseil-superieur-programmes

But one thing that I have learned in Germany is that our national
educational systems are opaque to anyone who has not gone through them
-- we learn so much as students and we instinctively take our
experiences for granted.

1. I would ask those who understand better the situation in France to
explain it for the list -- English might be somewhat easier for this
largely anglophone conversation but the key thing is to articulate what
is going on.

2. I see in the France24.com article a call for proposals due by
mid-October. What can we do to help? What ideas are there? If the change
is a fait accompli, what can we do next?

Greg