Depends what you mean by vetting perhaps.

Whilst I do not see anything wrong with this in principle I think it needs
using only where appropriate. Same old reasonable and proportionate test. I
doubt for example if I could justify it if e.g. 'vetting' a care worker for
suitability to work with children. Would that come within P3 - adequate,
relevant and not excessive ?

Two specific points.

1. If you are going to do it you should tell the applicant - simple fair
processing principle application

2. A good guide might be whether you are asking applicants for a particular
post to disclose this, having again considered P3. If you are not asking
them, where is the justification for checking?