From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Meudell
Sent: 21 May 2015 15:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cycle Proofing Case Studies - stakeholder consultation

John

Interesting but I find both the poor question definition and the short time available for response indicative of a more traditional "we have to ask the question but we're not interested in the response" approach to public/stakeholder consultation.  The question is so woolly as to be meaningless, but I have no doubt that local authorities along with Sustrans will be queueing to tell you what a good job they are doing......

It's an example of the "first law of physics practical" at play....."First draw your line and then plot your points".  Translated that means: first decide the answer you need and then find the data to support that, ignoring any information to the contrary.

I am fully supportive of the views expressed regarding the lack of examples of "good (let alone competent)" cycle infrastructure design, be it on- or off-carriageway.....they are so few and far between in the UK as to be irrelevant.

A study of poor examples would be far more informative and productive, in terms of both narrow and broad learning.  Furthermore the study, if it's to be of any use, would also need to identify the generic mistakes in planning and design, something I am absolutely sure government and local authorities don't want to know.

To quote "the second law of physics practical".....the only experiments you learn anything from are the ones that get cocked up.  Translated that means it is the case that knowledge and understanding are more often extended and improved through examination of mistakes than things that go exactly as planned.  But requires recognising and analysing mistakes.... and changing.

At a recent UCL lunchtime I, along with Graham Smith and others, suggested that you would have to look a long time back in time to find good examples of cycle infrastructure, of any type, in the UK.  My own (favourite) examples date back to 1985 and 1967 (in the latter case the layout appears in the current CROW guide!)

The fact is that "Best Practice Books" are so 1990's, the concept having been undermined by the ease at which many organizations (both public and private sector) were able to neuter and eliminate critical comment.

To be honest you'd have been better off researching best practice in public consultation first....its clear WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, along with the Department of Transport, have little idea how to do it!

Cheers

John Meudell
C.Eng, MIMechE