My name is Peter Schouten, I work for a company Ingressus that supplies cataloguing services and books to libraries in the Netherlands.

Tuesday morning session 10.00-12.30: RDA Update

Q1:  Were you aware of the RDA update?  How did you become aware of it?

I subscribe to RDA-L and the big annual  update usually takes place in April, or it is announced well in advance that it will take place in July.

Q2: To what extent were you aware of the changes before the Update was released?

I read all the working documents and wrote a Dutch summary for the Fobid Commission on RDA in the Netherlands

Q3: What is your plan for implementing the Update?

Implementation will be discussed at the next Commission on RDA meeting. In previous years there has not been a national implementation cycle, the need to inform the rest of the country is increasing.

Q4: What are the barriers to implementation in your institution?

System vendors take a long time to implement changes in fields, validation and presentation, and we work for different customers who not always use the same system or even the same RDA Application Profile.

Q5: What impact do you anticipate the changes will have on workflows?

Within my own company we follow the changes closely, and the workflows are accustomed to these changes.

Q6: What are your views on the frequency and scope of RDA Updates?

The scope is fairly wide, which can be a burden if you need others to fully comprehend the changes in advance, but most changes make sense to us, so one big update per year that you work towards from November to April seems fine to me.

These will help give some direction to our discussions but they aren’t set in stone, so don't feel you can't post something you want to talk about if you are only around at a particular time of day.

If you are posting about something new, please put a relevant title in your subject so that those participating can keep track of conversations more easily.

On a practical note it might be worth me mentioning at the start of the day that messages sometimes take a little while to appear on JISCmail lists. Iif your message doesn't appear straight away then please don't worry or re-send.  We're not moderating the list, so it will get through.

So, to kick us off for today, please feel free to introduce yourselves to the list and let us know where you are with the Update.

Alan

Alan Danskin

British Library representative to Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA

Metadata Standards Manager

British Library

Boston Spa

Wetherby