We buy UV lamps from Jelight Company Inc. for replacements on our AKTA systems (http://www.jelight.com/low-pressure-uv-lamps.html <http://www.jelight.com/low-pressure-uv-lamps.html>).
It’s not a direct replacement in that a few modifications needed to be made:
1. cut two groves on the lamp base (with a file) to fit the GE housing.
2. needs it’s own power supply (12V DC), also available from Jelight.
The UV lamp costs $299.00, power supply costs $169.00.

The original GE lamps typically lasted between 1 to 2 years in my lab. The Jelight lamps have been running for more than 5 years and are still going.

Cons: the down side is that when the AKTA first starts up, it detects and adjust power output to the lamp, so we would need to turn the modified external 12V DC power on at precisely the moment the AKTA looks for UV signals (by looking the status LED panel on the AKTA). Another minor drawback is that we bought 285nm lamps, so it can’t be switched to 260nm  for DNA (which we don’t need), but you can also buy a 260nm if you do need it.

Side note: besides the cost savings of the lamp, the lamp power supply in our AKTA burnt out (both units in my lab) and they cost $4,000. in parts alone to replace. The $169 external power supplies have been running constantly for 5 years now without sign of problems.

Cheers,
Quyen

Assistant Professor
Indiana University School of Medicine