Certainly LyX is very nice for beginners, and yes you can start typing
without reading the manual (Although I do recommend reading the manual).
But there are lots of problems with compatibility (like Lyx 2.X cannot open
Lyx 1.6.x files or something like that). And sometimes if you do
\usepackage{whatever} in the preamble and that package was going to be
loaded by LyX, then you wil end up with a package clash... and there is
where the beginner gets lost.  The citation manager that I like to use with
LyX (or LaTeX) is called Jabref (F5 to open the look for dialog; choose
database ->pubmed; input pubmed id; click on import and generate key; and
finally with one button you can push that reference into LyX).
Why I like about sharelatex is that you can start by a minimum input,
others can watch you in real time...far away...and then they can be as good
..as you (limiting factor) in a couple of days.