University of Brighton & ONCA Gallery,

Brighton, UK

present
Sound & the Urban Environment: sound installation and symposium

CALL FOR WORKS

29 May – 3 June 2015
Symposium: Sound and the Urban Environment, Tuesday 2 June 6 – 8pm

This symposium explores our auditory encounter with the urban environment and asks how we might plan for the soundscape of our futures cities, homes and dwellings. It asks in what ways can the soundscape and the practice of listening inform and make meaningful the experience of living within urban environments. Do we need to revisit our relationship to the sound of cities, if so what changes should be made? What are the prevailing attitudes to sound? What is the role of the artist and other professionals in considering alternative approaches to listening as well as helping to celebrate, re-imagine and regenerate the spaces, buildings and institutions of the urban soundscape.

Artists are invited to submit sound works for presentation at ONCA gallery from 28 May – 3 June as part of this activity.

Download the PDF Call for Artists, scholars and interested parties from  – Sound  & the Urban Environment<http://onca.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Sound-and-the-Urban-Environment.pdf>

Deadline 15 May 2015.

Supported by APPRI ,  Faculty of Arts Research Champions Scheme

ONCA Gallery http://onca.org.uk/get-involved/callforartists/

Contact:
Conall Gleeson ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>,
J Milo Taylor ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Academic Programme Leader:
Performance and Visual Art
Music and Visual Art
College of Art and Humanities