Dear Cathy

I do not know excaclty in what (research/analytical) contexts you are going
to use this concept. My position on it is:

I am a clinical anthropologist and co-educte transcultural family
therapists. Hence my conception of how people interrelate is interactive and
systemic (see below)

The 'social bond' is an 'ancient' concept  in sociology but as far as I know
did Thomas Scheff  re-develop the concept interactively (on Bateson and
Goffman) in his boek in 1990 and some papers (see below two publications).

I think I took theory beyond the social bond and the interactive (and
symbolic interaction) by combining anthropological theory with family
therapy (Batesionian) theory.
This came about during my ten years of clinical fieldwork. I studied
multicultural groups of (about 500) young men (with their
families/communities) in the Netherlands.
(for publications see http://anthropo-gazing.academia.edu/DirckVanBekkum)
Central is the dynamic-processual concept of balancing of loyalties in and
between humans.
This 'root concept', from an Anthropological Gaze people, is part of the
ideaa that people (human communities) are 'systemically' driven by
evolutionary forces conceptualized by Family & Community Continuity.
(for abstract/PPT see
https://www.academia.edu/11326067/2015_FAMILY_AND_COMMUNITY_CONTINUITY_Co-Creating_Transitional_Spaces_for_Permanence_in_Change)

success and greetings Dirck van Bekkum
clinical-systemic anthropologist

PAPER:  Thomas J. Scheff, Shame and the Social Bond: A Sociological Theory,
,
dowload: http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/faculty/scheff/main.php?id=2.html
in: Sociological Theory, Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 84–99, March 2000
BOOK:  Scheff, Thomas J., Emotions, the social bond, and human reality:
Part/whole analysis. Studies in emotion and social interaction, second
series.
New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press; Paris, France: Editions de la
Maison des Sciences de l'Homme. (1997). ix 249 pp.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511549496
Abstract:    This book outlines and gives examples of a new approach to
research in the human sciences. It puts into practice the recommendation of
C. W. Mills, for what he called the exercise of the sociological
imagination. It is referred to here as part/whole analysis. The focus of
this book is the study of emotions and social bonds and their
interrelationships, but it codifies the methodological dimension. The
author's goal is to describe an approach to all human research that allows
the interpenetration of theory, method, and data in such a way that each
equally casts light on the other, generating a theory that is based directly
on observations of actual human behavior, both inner experience and outer
conduct. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)