Building a career in data science
Data Scientists are in demand
Organisations are increasingly turning to the wealth of data that exists to produce accurate and insightful intelligence that informs business decision making.  As a result, employers are seeking individuals with the capability to analyse the volume and complexity of such data to make accurate conclusions and predictions that lead to improved operational efficiency.  The Guardian<http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/mar/02/data-scientist> suggests that demand for data scientists far outweighs the available talent, opening up career opportunities for those with the right qualifications.  In fact, 'statistical analysis and data mining' topped LinkedIn's list of the 25 Hottest Skills That Got People Hired in 2014<http://blog.linkedin.com/2014/12/17/the-25-hottest-skills-that-got-people-hired-in-2014/>.
MSc Data Science<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/data-science/>
Lancaster University's MSc Data Science programme has been designed in conjunction with industry partners to ensure that graduates are equipped with the advanced skills to achieve a successful career in 'big data'.  As a result, this is an intensive and challenging master's degree for those with an aptitude for computing, mathematics or statistics and expected to achieve a 2:1 undergraduate degree.
You will study modules such as Data Science Fundamentals, Machine Learning,  Data Mining,  Statistical Modelling and Statistical Inference,  but what really makes this master's noteworthy is the involvement of our industry partners who provide live projects, guest speakers, technology workshops, hackathons and coaching.  These partners, made up of multinational technology companies, government agencies, financial services providers and a Silicon Valley based company, also provide 12-week sponsored placement projects with the student typically receiving around £3000.  This combination of academic rigour and live industry experience will make you much sought after by employees and help you to stand out in the talent pool.
"My placement is with Framed Data in San Francisco where I'll be investigating the application of deep learning techniques to their analysis of churn prediction.  I aim to find efficient and effective ways of enhancing this process.  I'm really excited to have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge data science in Silicon Valley." Philip Spanoudes
If your future lies in data science, and you are prepared to work hard to achieve success, then take the next step by joining us in October 2015.
For further information:
T              01524 510 537
E              [log in to unmask]
www.lancaster.ac.uk/data-science<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/data-science>