Van: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Graham Jones
Verzonden: vrijdag 1 mei 2015 1:50
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: POCT eGFR

Other factors in POC creatinine for radiology:

Analytical quality: I-STAT probably pretty good, Nova Stat meter - my view is that it is pretty poor compared with lab results. Also not often stated is the need to do local calibration of Nova meter as is not IDMS traceable out of the box. Not familiar with other POC devices.

Making eGFR calculation with creatinine result - extra step with potential for error: I-STAT - perhaps can be linked to LIS with automatic calculation in System; Nova meter - gives eGFR on meter (does not seem to have CKD-EPI formula according to website).

How results are used: if results are used as rule out (need for lab result) then Nova meter would probably be OK. A decision point could (probably) be set with a reasonable sensitivity but only average specificity for low EGFR, thus enabling a number of radiology investigations  to be done with safety. HOWEVER, using the result for other purposes (diagnosis CKD, monitoring compared with lab results - probably not a great thing to do).

It may be worth asking Nova distributor how many metes are in use in radiology departments. I suspect they are being used and labs not being told.

PLEASE NOTE: These are personal opinions based on my reading of the literature a couple of years ago. Any potential users must assess latest data.

With best wishes,

Graham