Hi,

Richard, Deb, you're right, it is an optical illusion and yes, all the
marks are hollows.
Vesna, I think what you see is the reflection of the microscope's light.
Sorry the light isn't really good. The bone isn't that dark either, it's
more a dark brown than the black you can see here. (But I actually found
these marks on burned bones of every stages, including calcinated bones.
They are just smaller and less fitted for pictures).
If anyone is interested, I could take more pictures (although to me
there isn't really anything more too see).

Best,

Aurélie